The teeth whitening trend is booming rapidly in Australia and if you are thinking of teeth whitening then you probably must be having too many questions in mind. In this article, we will briefly discuss the causes of discolouration of teeth, what are your options for teeth whitening, what is the most latest teeth whitening technology and post-procedure care.
Why do you need teeth whitening?
More and more people are using advances in the dental industry to make their smiles better. A beautiful smile will increase your self-esteem and make your appearance look even more attractive.
Teeth whitening is the process of lightening teeth by changing the natural colour of the teeth or removing the formation of external stains. There are a variety of teeth whitening products and methods that are available in the dental industry for making your smile brighter.
What are the causes of teeth discolouration?
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Poor dental hygiene
- Food and drink (coffee, tea, wine, cola, certain fruits, vegetables, etc.)
- Age-related tooth stains
- Trauma or injury
In general, teeth whitening can be done at home or in the dentist’s office. But whenever in doubt, talk to your dentist for advice.
Different teeth whitening options available for you are –
There are 2 ways of teeth whitening, one is a home remedy and another is professional dental cleaning procedures.
Different procedures included in both of these methods are-
1. DIY home remedies-
- Commercially available teeth whitening kit- There are teeth whitening kits on the market that have gained massive popularity and have become the latest trend in teeth whitening in Australia. These kits include teeth whitening pens, strips, trays and brushes to keep whitening agents on your teeth longer than toothpaste. These teeth whitening products usually contain peroxides to remove deeper stains. Also, look for ADA approved stickers while considering over-the-counter whitening agents.
- Natural remedies- Natural remedies combine everything from healthier consumption, diving into current trends and avoiding sweet and acidic drinks to stay safe from teeth stains. Substances such as charcoal and baking soda, or cleaning agents such as coconut oil have some advantages. But you can barely make it a habit of brushing and rinsing your mouth every day with these things. Brushing twice daily, dental floss, and daily mouthwash use will help get rid of satin.
- Whitening toothpaste- Whitening toothpaste acts as a whitening agent. Normal toothpaste keeps your mouth clean and tries to clean your teeth. However, whitening toothpaste makes your teeth brighter by effectively removing stains on your teeth. It may take several weeks for the results to be displayed. Maintain good oral hygiene apart from home tooth whitening treatment.
2. Professional dental cleaning procedures-
- Zoom teeth whitening- It is an instant solution to whiten your teeth. This whitening treatment can only take up to an hour, depending on the degree of stains on your teeth. In this treatment, the dentist uses hydrogen peroxide to whiten the teeth.
- Ready-made kit- After teeth examination, the dentist may suggest a special teeth whitening kit to make your teeth whiter. Generally, kits contain bleach to clean and remove stains on your teeth.
- Veneer- Sometimes stains do not disappear with some traditional bleaching methods. Therefore, your dentist may suggest veneers to make your smile more beautiful.
- Laser bleaching- Lasers help stimulate the whitening agents used in treatment. This process doesn’t take long, so you don’t have to wait a long time. During the procedure, guards are secured over them to protect the lips and gums. You need to check with your dentist if you are a good candidate for laser whitening.
Here are some post-care tips for tooth whitening procedures-
Dental hypersensitivity is the most common problem people face after the whitening treatment. Here are some remedies to address this issue:
- Eat foods that stimulate saliva production
- Use sensitive toothpaste containing potassium nitrate
- Drink an adequate amount of water to avoid any further problems
- If you feel your teeth are sensitive, contact your dentist immediately.
Teeth whitening treatment usually lasts up to 9 months. Follow the tips below to make the results of tooth whitening treatments much longer.
- Avoid tea, coffee and red wine.
- Use a straw to prevent soft drinks from coming into direct contact with your teeth
- Avoid smoking and smoking
- If your gums become white or sore after treatment, consult your dentist.
Which are the latest and most trendy teeth whitening technology and how does it work?
Dual LED light technology is a state-of-the-art technology available today for teeth whitening.
One of the benefits of LED lights is they can detect the chemical reaction responsible for removing stains on your teeth. Whitening agents can work for 24 hours. Hence, more dirt can be removed if the chemical reaction speeds up. So you will get a brighter smile when more dirt gets removed. In short, LED light technology is responsible for the improvement in the effectiveness of the whitening agent.