There are numerous teeth whitening products that are available in the Australian market in today’s time. Some of such products are whitening toothpaste, over-the-counter gels, washes, strips, trays, teeth whitening gel refills, and other whitening products you get from a dental specialist.
Teeth brightening is great for individuals who have unrestored teeth ie. teeth with no fillings and healthy gums. People with yellow tones to their teeth react best to these teeth whitening at home products. However, this restorative system isn’t suggested for everybody. Let’s find out more about teeth whitening systems.
Teeth whitening – Brightening your smile at home has never been easier. You can try different types of products such as rinses, gels, chewing gum, toothpaste and strips. If you decide to try whitening at home, it’s a good idea to talk to your dentist first, especially under a few particular conditions such as-
- Sensitive teeth
- Dental restoration
- Very dark stains or single dark teeth
- Lots of padding and crowns
Home-based teeth whiteners contain peroxides, usually carbamide peroxides, in the range of 10% to 20%. It is recommended to choose a product with a peroxide level in the middle of that range. If the product does not strain your mouth, but you do not get the desired whitening effect, you can choose a higher level. If you have any questions, we can take advice from your dentist to find the best whitener for your needs.
Here is an overview of different types of teeth whitening at-home products you can choose from
- Teeth whitening toothpaste- All toothpaste contains a gentle polishing agent to clean the stains. Some whitening toothpaste contains mild abrasives or chemicals that enhance the stain-removing effect. Prices can largely vary depending upon the concentration of chemicals and the brand of product.Teeth whitening eliminate only surface stains because it does not contain any whitening bleach. On the other hand professional whitening and over-the-counter products, contain carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide, which brightens the colour deep inside the teeth. With the help of whitening toothpaste, you can lighten the colour of your teeth up to one shade. In contrast, prescription intensity whitening performed in the dental office can brighten teeth by 3-8 shades.
- Commercial or over-the-counter teeth whitening gel refills- Whitening gel is a clear peroxide-based gel that is applied directly to the tooth surface with a small brush. The instructions depend on the strength of the peroxide. It is recommended to follow the product instructions carefully. Initial results can be seen in a few days and final results last about 4 months. The full course takes 10 to 14 days. Whitening gel refills can be easily purchased at pharmacies, dentists, or online.
- Teeth whitening strips- Whitening strips are exceptionally thin and virtually invisible strips covered with peroxide-based whitening gel. The strip should be applied according to the instructions given on the label of the product. Initial results can be seen in a few days, final results last about 4 months.
- Teeth whitening rinse- Among the latest whitening products available is a teeth whitening rinse. Like most mouthwashes, they refresh your breath and reduce plaque and periodontal disease. However, these products also contain ingredients such as hydrogen peroxide that whitens teeth. According to the manufacturer, it may take up to 12 weeks for results to come out. Just shake them in your mouth twice a day for 60 seconds before brushing your teeth. However, some experts say that rinsing may not be as effective as other commercial teeth whitening at home products. To boost whitening mouthwash, some people prefer to rinse first and then brush their teeth with whitening toothpaste.
- Tray-based teeth whitener- In a tray-based teeth whitening product i.e. purchased over-the-counter or from a dentist, a tray such as a mouth guard is filled with a gel whitening solution containing peroxide bleach. The tray is worn for a while, by and large from several hours per day to consistently during the night for as long as about a month and surprisingly long. This depends upon the level of staining and the wanted degree of whitening.
- The tray is usually worn for a period of hours a day to every day of the night, up to 4 weeks, and even longer depending on the degree of discolouration and desired whiteness you want to achieve. You can easily buy a tray-based tooth whitening system from your local pharmacy, from your dentist or online from a trusted retailer.
Mentioned above were some of the most popular teeth whitening at home products. The good news is that now you can buy all in one teeth whitening kits which has everything including teeth whitening gel refills, teeth whitening pen and LED device inside one package. You can simply buy this teeth whitening at home kit online from a trusted retailer.
Here are some teeth whitening safety tips for safe teeth whitening at home procedures
- Follow the instructions- Do not leave the strip or gel on for longer than instructed. Your gums will hurt and you may be also facing other problems. After whitening, avoid sodas, sports drinks, or other acidic beverages for several hours to protect your teeth.
- Please do not overdo it- If you follow the product instructions and get good results, a monthly fix session is usually sufficient. Once your teeth have the desired shade, you should repeat the whitening session no more than twice a year.
- Protect from sensitivity- After whitening, the teeth may be a little sensitive. If your teeth and gums are in good condition, it may not be a problem. If you are concerned, discontinue treatment and consult your dentist.